Achieving capacity building at subnational level is essential to generate expertise within public officials responsible for defining actions on mitigation and adaptation to climate change at the local level. For this reason, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Cooperation for Sustainable Development) held a workshop on 14-15 August with the representatives of 19 government agencies of the state of Veracruz.
Veracruz is one of the pioneer states in the development of public policy instruments in the climate change field. It was the first state to create a Law on Climate Change, even before the General Law on Climate Change (LGCC) was created, with sectorial agendas that allow compiling the actions carried out within the entire state with a monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) system to follow-up the progress of the designed actions. With the signing of the Paris Agreement and the recent change of government within the state, they have decided to begin the process to update their sectorial agendas on climate change.
Therefore, GIZ trained more than 35 public officials in the correct design, selection and prioritization of climate change actions that are aligned to the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) of the country and above all that address the main needs of the state in mitigation and adaptation matter.
The government of Veracruz is expected to have its new climate agenda ready in the coming months and to know the contribution that it is providing as a state to the fulfillment of the NDC.
Files available for consultation:
- Agenda final
- Contexto internacional y nacional de los compromisos de México y sus implicaciones a nivel subnacional
- GIZ-SEDEMA Planes y contexto
- Diseño de medidas de mitigación y adaptación e instrumentos de seguimiento
- Herramientas e instrumentos de monitoreo de medidas de mitigación y de adaptación
- Caso de éxito sistema MRV y ME en Veracruz
- Caso de exito 2 Agenda de CC y PA
- Sistemas de captación de agua de lluvia en Guanajuato
- Financiamiento de medidas de mitigación y adaptación al cambio climático
- Guía de financiamiento climático para la entidades federativas